Monday 18 April 2011

Joining The Whiskey Rebellion

I don't know if I ever mentioned that I love live music.  Weymouth for a small sea side town has a great live music scene. I don't know of many other places where you can have a choice of seeing as many as a dozen or so music acts on a Friday or Saturday night.

This Saturday I headed down to The Sailors Return which is a great traditional pub, to see a new band called "The Whiskey Rebellion". The Rebellion consists of 5 members who are no strangers to the music scene. Maria Greenwood from Hustle and a few other outfits on vocals, Rob Davis - drummer and backing vocals for The Stereoironics, Glen Conroy - guitarist for Hustle, Andy Newman -  guitarist for Shooter and last but by no means least Ben Delplanque bassist and vocals for Shooter, The Lo numbers, Hustle and reserve bassist for Hybrid.

I arrived just after 9.30 when the band should of started, but in true rock and roll style they were late. Not surprising with the amount of equipment they had to set up, as well as the standard guitars, drums, bass and PA, they also had 2 keyboards. I'm not always convinced keyboards in bands are a good thing, there is a danger of them sounding like Ross in friends. Standard piano or hammond organ type sounds are fine, but once you try to emulate brass, dogs barking or helicopters flying you enter in to danger territory.  It looked like the people playing the keyboards would be guitarist Andy and bassist Ben, I was intrigued to see how they could play 2 instruments at the same time.

Things started getting busy in the main bar, so I retreated to the other bar to listen to the band.  I can't quite remember the running order for the set, had I thought I would be writing a mini review I would of taken a notepad and pen and made some notes! But one of the first stand out songs for me was "Electric Feel" by MGMT.  My concerns about the keyboard were unjust as they managed sound authentic to the keyboard in the original track. The vocals and harmonies between Maria, Ben and Rob complimented each other well, and guitar bass and drums gelled together.  All in all very impressive pulling off a live version of a song such as Electric Feel, and the Rebellion did not stop impressing...

Every time a track started playing such as "Propane Nightmares" by Pendulum, me and my mates would comment "I can't believe they are going to play this".  But we had to believe it because it was happening. Plus not only did they play it, but they played it bloody well.  Rob's drumming was as solid to rock and roll as it was to playing drum and bass beats. My favourite tracks from the night were "Uprising" by Muse, "Me and You" by Nero, "Little Sister" by Queens of the Stone age and "Rolling in the Deep" by Adele. I'm sure there are many more I can't recall.

I think I commented in the night that the songs in the set are very different. This was not at all meant in a derogatory way, what I meant is a lot of bands end up playing a lot of the same stuff... Sweet Home Alabama, Sex on Fire etc. Different is good, and in the case of the Whisky Rebellion, different is awesome.  They certainly have some balls to play the tunes they play in a live environment.

I will be catching the Whisky Rebellion again, and I suggest you do to.  Next time it would be good to see them in a bigger venue with some room to dance. I can imagine them going down very well at an outdoor event in the British sunshine.  Would also be good to watch again as I never did get to see how they managed to play 2 instruments at once.

If you also wish to join The Whiskey Rebellion or find out more info, you can do on their Facebook Page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment