Friday 25 February 2011

Not going out

So I'm currently back in hospital receiving my 3rd and final dose of what I like to call "3 day evil chemo". This is the stuff that makes me loose my appetite (not like I have really found it after last time), and generally makes me feel a bit rubbish. But like I say this is my last dose of the 3 day, and then I just have 2 further daily top-ups over the next couple of weeks, and I should be done for chemo, hurrah!

A week after the last chemo I am due to have a CT scan, this will check to see what nasties I have left in my body. If the chemo has done the trick, the growth will have turned into scar tissue and this will deteriorate over time. However it is possible that I could have a different type of rogue cancer cells in my body, in this case I will have to have a operation to remove them. This would mean about another 5 days in hospital, and a 6 week recovery period. If they do have to operate this will happen about 6 weeks after the CT scan, which means my life would not get back to normal until June! So I'm guessing the CT scan day will be D-day for me.

Cancer has put my life temporary on hold, and I do miss doing everyday things. Because chemo causes my immune system to be low, I have been avoiding contact with large groups of people. This means I spend most my time at home apart from the weekly visits to Southampton. I have managed to escape a couple of times for a band practice or odd meal when I have felt up to it. So what are the things I miss the most? I have made a list:

Going out:
I do miss being able to go out on a Friday / Saturday night. Going for a meal, having a few drinks, going to see a band, having a few more drinks, and dancing to some cheesy music, oh and having a few more drinks. Anyone who has been out with me in the past would know I have quite a unique and entertaining dance style.

Gigging:
Don't know if I have mentioned, but I play bass in a band called Hybrid, a shameless plug here but you can check out our Website and find us on Facebook. We have been gigging for over 2 years and built up quite a good following. There is nothing better then playing a good gig where the whole crowd are dancing to your music and going mental. Sometimes they do tend to go a bit too mental and fall into equipment and spill drinks over stuff, but it's all good fun. Some personal highlights for me have been playing the Weymouth Quayside music festivals. I lost count of how many people must of been watching us play there, but a rough estimate is 500.

Weekends away and holidays:
We (me and my other lovely half) have quite a few weekends away planned. Going to Alton Towers, having a weekend in Paris, IOW and Glastonbury festivals as well as planning to go Skiing in Whistler next January. Paris might have to be put on hold for now as we were planning to go in May, but we will see.

Work:
I know a lot of people will find this strange, but I do miss working. I am currently able to do some work from home, but its not quite the same as working in an office. As well as the work aspect, I also miss the social aspect of work. You get to interact with so many people, a lot different to just talking to myself at home.

So although my life has temporary been put on hold, maybe for longer than expected if I have to have a operation, I still consider myself quite lucky that my treatment is quite short. There are people in hospital with me now a lot worse off than me.

So for now "Que Sera, Sera.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Mr P. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. The fact that you can be so positive is very inspiring. I hope the CT gives you some good news. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers crossed for this last blast mate - lets hope thats the end of it mater! "Hybrid" you say? Nah, never heard of them!!

    Take good care of yourself mate - cya soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It goes without saying that I'm hoping to hear some good news about your treatment soon Mr P..

    But I know exactly what you mean about missing the social contact of work. I've experienced this twice.

    The first time was in 2004 when I was made redundant after 30 odd years in my job. I missed the routine and the people. I almost felt jealous of people that went to work during my year off (my belated gap year!)

    More recently I left work to emigrate to France, the sudden change didn't give me much time to think about work. But once we settled down here in France it took a while to get used to not seeing friends at work.

    Facebook though has been a great tool to keep in touch with old colleagues.

    Hope you get back to your normal routine soon.

    Take care
    Regards
    Steve

    ReplyDelete